Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My New Year's Resolution

I think I have made this resolution every year for at least 10 or 20 years.  I want to compile a family history for my children.  I'm not sure that they want a family history, but it seems like something I should provide. 

I have done some genealogical research and found lots of information, locations and, maybe, fabrications about my ancestors.  I find it a fascinating study.  Once in a while someone, grandchildren that do it for a school project usually, will take an interest for a while.  I would really like to travel to some of the locations where they lived and research in county courthouses.  I want to include all the pictures and stories and fables.

Since I have tried this before, maybe this will be the year.  Some things can indicate progress.  I take joy in the fact that I have completed some parts of the family history, mostly my husband's family.  Mine is less complete, but then I want to include memories in mine.  I need to do this soon because I fear my memory gets foggier the farther I get from the event.  I want my children and grandchildren to have some knowledge of the people I knew.  Maybe its a selfish wish--I have memories to share and, in the process, I get to relive them.

Lots of books are written about families.  They are not famous books mostly, but like mine, a memory to share.  In the grand scheme of things including New Year's resolutions, this is not a bad goal.   

No comments: