Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Ugly American--Again!

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 28:   Comedian Jimmy Ki...
WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 28: Comedian Jimmy Kimmel delivers remarks at the 2012 White House Correspondents' Association Dinner held at the Washington Hilton on April 28, 2012 in Washington, DC. This was the 98th annual dinner and was hosted by Jimmy Kimmel. (Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)
The Secret Service debacle was the subject of teasing and fun at the White House Correspondents Dinner on Saturday, April 28.  Both the president and speaker Jimmy Kimmel referred to the   juvenile   exploits of these top of the line national security forces.  I guess you have to be more sophisticated than I am to find this behavior funny.  For the men in the black suits, I guess it is just business as usual.  I was personally insulted that they represented our country in the international arena with such poor taste.


I wonder how the people of Columbia look at us now.  Were they as insulted as I was that government employees of a visiting nation would involve their citizens in such a disreputable event?  One woman stated in an interview that her efforts were directed toward reducing the exploitation of underage girls through prostitution.  Some newspaper reports implied that Columbia was well known for the quality of its prostitution.  For the people who are struggling to change their international reputation, this kind of behavior from government representatives is a severe affront.


It seems that all the Secret Service officials have done is assure the public that there was no breech of security and hastily cover up the whole mess.  The president accepted no responsibility and I am insulted by that.  I would like to announce to the people of Columbia that the people I know find this very bad behavior a reason for an apology--I am sorry citizens of my country displayed such poor manners in your presence and held your country up to ridicule. 



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: