Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Poem for Easter



DREAD

John 18 and 21

By Gayle Haynes

Charcoal on the embers made a warming fire;
Bitter smoke swirled up and burned my nose.
"You were with Him," a servant said three times.
"He had friends and you were one of those."
What threat could my love of Him now pose?



"Not I," I said, and stepped back in the dark.
I could not speak or witness of his power.
Danger was everywhere; when the soldiers came,
I took a sword to defend him in that hour.
What recompense to pay if now I cower?



Suddenly the cock crowed twice and my heart froze.
His words came back with bitter taste and tears.
"You will deny me, I who washed your feet."
He knew my weakness; the knowledge burns and sears.
What judgment waits for me in future years?

…..

Again, beside a charcoal fire, agony was ripe.
“Do you love me more than these?” he said.
Now my fear was of a different type,
For He asked me to follow where he led.
How could His amazing love swallow all my dread?

No comments: