Friday, July 2, 2010

Titles and Subjects and Causes and Rants

What to write about is the eternal problem with writing.  I love to write.  How can I love to write when I don't have anything to write about? 

I clean house or cook or watch TV and suddenly this switch turns on.  The light shines.  Voila!  There it is:  something I want to write about, a viewpoint to share, an opinion to explain.  Now there are lots of things to write about.  The history or the subject needs to be traced and the relation to the rest of the world must be explained.  Then I think about the future, what happens now?  These questions and answers are the germ of an article or a short story or a poem.  Sometimes I have to do something else to let the germ develop.  Too much anxiety and angst in bringing it to light is like an antispeptic that hinders growth. 

Those wonderful rambling, unfocused blogs that seem to go nowhere and answer no questions and bring no conclusions contain the seed of many new pieces of writing.  Oh, I'm so excited.

No comments: